Wednesday, June 02, 2004

windows/mac/linux

Well, I started this blogging stuff the other day and it seemed kind of cool.
I've been reading about blogging for a while now.
Coincidentally, while I was setting up a computer for someone, I downloaded the google toolbar.
(read the previous log entry).
I saw the link for Blogger.com in the toolbar and said: 'what the heck', I'll start one.
So, I got all revved up and posted one, then another the second day, and now this is the third.

You're saying: "get to the point man!"

OK.

Here's the point.

I'm doing all this on a Linux-Mandrake operating system.
No Windows
No Macintosh
Got it!

Well, as you've said before: "what's your Point!"

OK.

Here's the point. (Didn't I just say that? Hmmm...)

ok, ok. well, I'd like to post up some pictures of bikes, me, bathrooms, whatever. but, since the only way, according to the site, is to use a program called "Hello" and that, dear reader.. is only useful if you use Windows.

Now THAT'S a problem.

So, no pictures unless I take my lazy butt over to one of my other computers, which I rarely use.
One is a dual boot: Windows/Mandrake machine. It's in the other room :)
The other is a laptop, Win/Linux also, which I don't clog with unneccessary programs.
It's a "grab and go" machine. Just the minimum.

Which brings me to another point.

What makes people use different Operating systems?
Some people will defend Mac's until they die.
Some have a hard time pushing the on button. (they use Windows)
Some, like me, were tired of upgrading every few years to a greater, faster, bigger, flashy new Windows system and consequently having to upgrade to a bigger faster computer!! $$$

I started out on Windows 3.1. What a mess that was.
I was new to computing and it was very slow and didn't have much expandablity.
Then came Windows 95. Oh my god! I thought I was in heaven...
until it crashed repeatedly.
Well, I thought when the big push for Win 98 came, it would be the last upgrade needed.

I thought wrong.

Windows ME: A disaster.
Windows 2000 Professional: (My personal favorite and the one I use on the dual boot machine)
Windows NT: great for business but not set up for home use.
Windows XP: the mac/linux clone-look alike. I've personally never used it but hear it's ok.
So, should I wait for Longhorn?

I don't think so.

I've used Linux for the past two years or so, almost exclusively, and it's quite good at managing your memory.
It also has most of the programs needed for surfing, writing, HTML, chat, IRC, ICQ and even some that I've never heard of.
I am by no means a 'puter nerd. I have no clue how to manipulate Mandrake as well as Windows 2000, but I still like it better, 'cause it's free!
It also works on older computers with less than optimum processors..
In other words, you don't have to upgrade your hardware every time you upgrade your software: "read: Windows"

You say I haven't said much about Mac's. Well there is a reason.
I have never used a Macintosh, but I've been a 'back seat driver', watching someone use it, and it seems quite good.
But, it costs money. :(

Bottom line is:
I'm cheap. I use Linux, it's free.
I want to post pictures...
I'm walking over to the other computer.
Wish me luck.

No comments: