I've had Crohn's disease for 40+ years.
When I first got it, I asked for it to go away.
With meds and careful eating habits, it did go away, for a short time.
Then, I denied having it. I went back to my old ways of eating 'real people' food.
I really didn't have the mental toughness to stick with the regiment required to keep this disease in check.
I was only 16! I had already had it for two years. I thought nothing of getting sick, then being "good", then back and forth until...
The bottom fell out.
I was admitted to the hospital.
Bad pains, bloated gut, nausea and fever. My first experience of not being in control of my own life, my own destiny.
I wasn't even in control of my bowels!!
So, the treatment for Crohn's disease is:
I.V. Fluids, high doses of steroids, antibiotics, NO FOOD, NO DRINK, NOTHING BY MOUTH. and of course, the best thing, pain meds.
So, I spent two weeks in a torturous hospital room with three other patients.
One older gent was crapping green and yellow. He didn't last long.
I don't know what the other guy had, but the brought him out a few days later.
The guy right next to me.. a blue collar , ordinary man, couldn't understand why he had to lay down..... AND pee!
He had a bad back and was in traction. Hence the always laying down order.
Since he couldn't pee lying down.. they put in a catheter.
A truly enlightening experience for a 16 yr old.
wonderful screams, horrible implements, and a confused ordinary man being tortured for his own good.
That is quite enough about Me, Crohn's and the hospital.... for now.
next blog.. soon, very soon.
Sunday, August 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment